Monday 26 August 2013

Recipe: Apple, Oat & Raisin Pancakes

Because our mornings are usually a mad rush, I try my best to give S a breakfast that's reasonably healthy, but also not too messy. For the last two weeks, we've been on holidays, so I've been experimenting with messy breakfasts. She's been enjoying honey on toast, peanut butter on toast and porridge.

And then we were sent a frying pan to review, and I decided the best way to try it out was to make all sorts of pancakes. These were the ones that were quickest, easiest and tastiest...

We started off with this recipe from Life Love Laura, and messed about with it a bit because I've never been any good at doing as I'm told.

Ingredients
100g plain flour
100g porridge oats
1tsp baking powder
1tsb cinnamon
as many raisins as you fancy - we love raisins, so I put tons in.
1tbsp ground flax seeds (optional)
2 eggs
250ml coconut milk (I love coconut milk and use it in everything. If you don't fancy it, just use normal milk)
1tbsp oil (I olive oil because I couldn't get the lid off the coconut oil)
A good squirt of runny honey (optional)
6tbsp stewed apple - I have this in the house any way, because we have it in everything. If you don't have any, and don't fancy messing around with it, you can get a pouch of apple puree baby food, or just chop up an eating apple into small pieces. 

Method

If you have an electric hob that takes a while to heat up (like I do), put the hob on as high as it will go, and sit the pan on it while you prepare the pancakes.

Sieve the flour with the baking powder. Add other dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and whisk until they're all mixed nicely.

Make sure the pan is hot. The hotter the better in my experience. Add a little oil, then put spoonfuls  of the batter into the pan.
Single Mother Ahoy apple oat raisin pancakes coconut milk

When the pancakes start to get little bubbles around the outside, flip them over and cook the other side. 

That's pretty much it. The end result looks something like this:

Single Mother Ahoy apple oat raisin pancakes coconut milk
They're super easy, and really tasty.

The batter we did made around 12 of these small pancakes. The good thing is they also taste good cold, and you can freeze them and then just pop them in the toaster to defrost/heat them up. I've made a big batch ready for when we go back to work and nursery next week.

Single Mother Ahoy apple oat raisin pancakes coconut milk
S seems to really like them, and usually clears her plate, which is a bonus - especially considering she's teething at the moment!

Do you have a favourite pancake recipe?
Do you fancy trying this one, but tweaking it a bit?
Please share your recipes, photos and experiences either here or on Facebook, Twitter or Google+. I'd love to see them and find new ideas to try out!

2 comments:

  1. Pancakes are delectable. THanks for this excellent post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try these, I think the kids would love them :) x

    ReplyDelete

Do please leave a comment and let me know your view!

Comments are moderated, so your comment will not appear straight away.

Please remember: it's fine if we have different views, as long as we have them without making personal attacks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...